KNOTTINGLEY PUBLIC HOUSES & BREWERIES
circa. 1750 – 1998
by TERRY SPENCER B.A.(Hons), Ph D. (1998)
GAZETTEER OF KNOTTINGLEY PUBS
With the completion of our study relating the history of Knottingley
Public Houses and Breweries c.1750-1998, it remains only for a gazetteer
of the various pubs during that period.
ADMIRAL NELSON INN – Aire Street, opposite west end of Flatts
This Inn was presumably of eighteenth century origin and although the name
indicates that it was still in existence in the closing decades of that
century, it must have closed early in the following century for it does
not feature in the lists of the 1820s. A deed of sale dated May 1852
refers to a printing house and a cottage which "stand on the site of a
former public house, the Admiral Nelson", suggesting that by that date
the inn had either been demolished or converted into the form described
above. The exact location of the inn was known to later generations of
citizens as Post Office Yard.
AIRE STREET HOTEL – Aire Street, west end of Flatts
First Recorded licensee was William Holmes in 1857. Referred to
Compensation Authority on the 5th March 1938. Licence renewal refused
and premises closed.
ANCHOR INN – Aire Street, opposite middle of Flatts
First Recorded licensee was John Whittenstall in 1822. The premises closed
and its licence was transferred to the Lamb Inn, Knottingley on
5-3-1904. Property sold January 1909.
ANVIL INN – Bank’s Lane, near Jackson Bridge
First recorded licensee was John Fell in 1857 at which time it was
described as a beerhouse and blacksmith’ shop under the ownership of Mrs
BAY HORSE INN – Hill Top, opposite Forge Hill Lane
Date of first tenancy uncertain but believed to have been John Austwick
BEE HIVE INN – Low (Fernley) Green, opposite Hope Glassworks.
First recorded licensee was John Canby in 1841. The premises were closed
and sold in 1926.
BLUE BELL INN – Back Lane (Croft)
c.f Royal Oak, Ship & Punch Bowl, Oak & Standard.
First Recorded licensee was Benjamin Branford in 1820.
BOAT INN – Sunnybank, Canalside, near to Shepherds Bridge.
First recorded licensee was John Hargrave in 1865. A Provisional Ordinary
Removal Licence was granted to Ernest Philpott on the 21st September
1965, in respect of new premises to be named Hill Top Hotel. The
transfer of the O.R.L. to Geoffrey Frank Roberts on 6th February 1968
was followed by notification by Whitbread p.l.c. on 1st February 1977
that the removal licence was no longer required and it was therefore not
renewed. The premises were closed and subsequently demolished.
BUCK INN – Aire Street, opposite east end of Flatts.
First recorded licensee was Ann Pickering in 1822. The premises closed on
30th September 1972 and purchased by a Compulsory Purchase Order issued
by Knottingley Urban District Council on 15th October 1972. Licence
suspended on 1sy January 1973.
CHERRY TREE INN – Marsh End at junction of Aire Street and Cow
First recorded licensee is not known but the inn was mentioned in a
document dated 2nd November 1807 when it was described "with cottage and
barber’s shop". John Brown was the recorded tenant in a document dated
25th March 1809.
A Provisional Ordinary Licence was granted to Ernest Philpott on 28th
September 1963, in respect of new premises to be constructed on existing
and enlarged site. Final Order in respect of modified plans concerning
the proposed development 15th December 1964.
COMMERCIAL HOTEL – Hill Top, opposite Station Road.
First recorded licensee was Robert Jackson in 1838. The Hotel ceased to
trade on 13th September 1971 and was later demolished.
COMMERCIAL INN – Bendles, Racca Green End. c.f. Steam Packet.
First recorded licensee was John Hill in 1838 when the Inn was described
as "a Packet House & Coach Proprietor."
After a temporary closure, the inn was reopened and renamed as the Steam
Packet on 14th August 1986. On site brewing recommenced.
DOG INN (DOG & GUN INN) – Part of Wildbore Manor House,
junction of Hill Top & Chapel Street.
First recorded licensee was Mark Hepworth in 1822. The inn was presumably
closed circa. 1843, following the bankruptcy of Samuel Maw Long, owner
of the Old Hall (Manor House). The property was demolished in 1844.
DUKE OF YORK INN – The Holes, near the Mill Bridge.
First recorded licensee was William Smithson in 1822. The question of
licence renewal was referred to the Compensation Authority on 5th March
1968 and renewed provisionally. Further renewal was refused on 29th May
1968. Compensation authority agreed payment on 3rd August 1968 and the
premises closed and were subsequently demolished.
EARNSHAW’S HOTEL – Top of Station Road at junction with
c.f. Royal Albert Hotel & Railway Hotel
Built in the late 1840s by William Moorhouse, this property was originally
named as the Royal Albert Hotel. The inn was purchased by Christopher
Sturdy in April 1854 and following Sturdy’s bankruptcy was acquired by
William Earnshaw in 1861. The inn was known locally as Earnshaw’s Hotel.
About 1866 the premises were renamed as the Railway Hotel. The premises
were acquired by John Carter & Co. in 1872
FROG & FIRKIN INN – Chapel Street, near to St. Botolph’s
c.f. Wheatsheaf & Sailors Home.
The public house was previously known as the Sailors Home and before that
as the Wheatsheaf. The premises were extensively refurbished in 1991 and
renamed as the Frog & Firkin. The inn closed again shortly afterwards
and stands empty and unused at the time of writing.
GEORGE IV HOTEL – Aire Street at junction with Chapel Street.
c.f. Royal Hotel & George Inn.
First recorded licensee was Elizabeth Middleton in 1891. The inn may be
the renamed Royal Hotel as that property is unrecorded after 1871 when
it featured in the Post Office Directory as the Royal Inn. The licence
was referred to the Compensation Authority and renewal refused on 10th
June 1913. The inn closed shortly afterwards.
GOLDEN CUP INN – Aire Street – exact location uncertain.
First recorded licensee was Francis Stone in 1827. This beerhouse appears
to have ceased to function in the mid-1850s. The 1857 Rate Book refers
to a ‘house and shop’, occupied by Charles Shaw and owned by the Heirs
of Francis Stone. The same entry features in the 1859 Rate Book. The
beerhouse probably closed following the death of Mary Stone.
GREYHOUND INN – Banks Lane, adjacent to Rhodes Undertakers.
First recorded licensee was Robert Hall in 1838. The property was sold by
Carter’s Knottingley Brewery Ltd., in September 1913. Referred to
Compensation Authority on the 12th March 1927 when renewal of the
licence was refused. The inn closed circa 1928 when it became a private
residence. In July 1932 it was resold when it was described as
"property, formerly site of inn…" The building was demolished in June
GREEN BOTTLE INN – Spawd Bone Lane.
First recorded licensee was Leslie Harry Howlett in 1962. The premises
were originally known as the ‘Green House’, being part of Greenhouse
Farm owned by the descendants of William Jackson. Part of the acreage
was subsequently converted into the Knottingley Playing Fields and the
house became a ‘detached’ residence, being converted as a public house
JOLLY SAILOR – (Now Foundry Lane Club) Manor Fold, Canalside.
c.f. John Bull Inn.
First recorded licensee was Edward Spence in 1827.
LAMB INN – Racca Green Road.
c.f. Limestone Inn
First Recorded licensee was William Darnbrook in 1822. A provisional
Ordinary Licence was granted to George Sefton on 14th February 1959, in
respect of new premises to be built on land to the west of Springfield
Avenue at its junction with Weeland Road. Confirmed 28th April 1959.
Premises to be named as Lamb Inn.
LANCASHIRE & YORKSHIRE HOTEL – Station Road, adjacent to the
c.f. Williams Hotel
First Recorded licensee was Charles Williams in 1864. Licence surrendered
on 17th April 1966 and closed for trading. Premises subsequently
LIME KEEL INN – Cow Lane, opposite Bendles.
First recorded licensee was James Beaumont in 1870. Premises closed and
vacated on 2nd January 1973. Notification of Licence surrender by
Whitbread plc on 15th January 1973. Licence withdrawn on 6th February
1973. Premises currently standing derelict.
LIMESTONE INN – Racca Green Road.
c.f. Lamb Inn
Situated at the eastern edge of Racca Green at the junction with Weeland
Road and standing almost opposite the present Lamb Inn. The Limestone
Inn was the original name of the former farm premises known by the name
of the Lamb Inn from about 1860 and closed and demolished a century
MARINERS ARMS INN – Racca Green. Site opposite entrance to east
end of Bendles, next to site later occupied by Lime Keel Inn.
First recorded licensee was George Sefton in 1848. Appears to have
closed circa 1870 but buildings still standing early in the twentieth
century. Ultimately demolished and site standing unoccupied at the time
OAK & STANDARD INN – Back Lane.
c.f. Blue Bell, Ship & Punch Bowl, Royal Oak.
The Oak & Standard Inn was originally named the Ship & Punch Bowl. Owned
by George Burton, a former local shipbuilder resident at Blue Tiled
House, near the Island in the late eighteenth century. The Inn was
renamed as the Royal Oak. The name change probably occurred when Burton
acquired the premises about the turn of the following century. The Inn
was still occasionally referred to as the Oak & Standard as late as the
POTTERS ARMS INN – Holes Lane, adjacent to Ferrybridge Pottery.
First recorded licensee was John Cawthorn in 1841. Licence referred to
Compensation Authority on 3rd March 1906. Licence renewal refused on 9th
July 1907. Licence expired on 31st July 1907 and premises closed.
RAILWAY HOTEL – Top of Station Road at junction with Pontefract
c.f. Royal Albert Hotel & Earnshaw’s Hotel.
First recorded licensee was Hannah Pearson in 1840s when the owner was
ROYAL ALBERT HOTEL
c.f. Earnshaw’s Hotel & Railway Hotel.
Built about 1840 by William Moorhouse, the property was named in honour of
the Prince Consort. The property was obtained by Christopher Sturdy in
1854. Following Sturdy’s bankruptcy in 1861, the hotel was acquired by
William Earnshaw and occupied by George Earnshaw and through his
connection the premises became known colloquially as Earnshaw’s Hotel.
The development of the local railway network from the mid-1840s prompted
the renaming of the property as the Railway Hotel about 1866.
RED LION INN – Low Green, to east of Hope Glassworks entrance,
opposite junction with Harker Street.
First recorded licensee was George Hall in 1822. Closed for structural
alterations on 16th November 1965. Premises closed down but licence
retained on 29th March 1971. Licence surrendered 5th May 1971. Premises
demolished and site now incorporated into Hope Glassworks (Gregg’s).
RISING SUN INN – Hill Top, at junction of Marine Villa Road and
First recorded licensee was William Taylor in 1813. Referred to
Compensation Authority on 9th March 1907. Licence renewal refused 27th
May 1907. Licence expired and premises closed 21st December 1907.
Premises served as a general provisions shop, owned by Mr. Everatt but
became unsafe and was demolished 1943. Hill Top Workingmens’ Club (now
replaced by Morrisions Supermarket complex) was eventually built on the
ROPERS ARMS INN – Cow Lane at junction with Sunny Bank.
First recorded licensee was Samuel Atkinson, a ropemaker. Premises closed
but licence retained on 31st March 1971. Licence not renewed 1st
February 1972. Property subsequently sold and converted into several
ROYAL HOTEL / INN – Aire Street at junction with Chapel Street.
c.f. George IV Hotel.
First Recorded licensee was Francis Ord in 1802-03.
ROYAL OAK INN - Back Lane.
c.f. Blue Bell, Ship & Punch Bowl and Oak & Standard.
First recorded licensee was Richard Wilson pre 1822. Property became a
common lodging house post 1892.
SAILORS HOME INN – Chapel Street, at corner adjacent to St.
c.f. Wheatsheaf Inn, Frog & Firkin.
First recorded licensee was William Knapton in 1848. Purchased and
interior refurbished and reopened as Frog & Firkin in 1991. Closed 1997
and now standing unused.
SHIP INN - Island, east end of Aire Street.
First recorded licensee was John Robinson, shipbuilder. Licence
surrendered 18th July 1908 and transferred to Moorthorpe Hotel, South
Kirkby. Premises sold January 1909.
SHIP & PUNCH BOWL INN
c.f. Blue Bell Inn, Royal Oak Inn, Oak & Standard.
Name originally given to an inn situated in Back lane (The Croft). The
premises were known as the Blue Bell Inn and later renamed at the Oak &
Standard before being named yet again as the Royal Oak towards the end
of the eighteenth or early nineteenth century. The inn closed in 1892
and was for many years thereafter a common lodging house.
SPORTSMANS INN – Racca Green.
First recorded licensee was John Atkinson. The site of this inn has not
STEAM PACKET INN – Bendles.
c.f. Commercial Inn.
Originally known as the Commercial Inn, the name of this public house was
changed to that of the Steam Packet in August 1986, following the
purchase of the premises by James and Susan Mellor the previous year.
The new owners also reintroduced on site brewing, a welcome development
which revived the tradition of publican – brewer, a once common feature
within the town which had declined to virtual extinction by the mid
SWANN INN – Also known later as the White Swan. Hill Top, on
site of former Manor House now occupied by the Catholic Church. Re-sited
at England Lane, 1961.
First recorded licensee was John Etherington in 1822. Licence renewed
provisionally and removal licence granted by Compensation Authority 1st
March 1958. Licence renewal refused 30th May 1958. Final order in
respect of new premises at Morley Close, England Lane on 16th November
1957. Transfer of licence 11th February 1961.
THREE HORSE SHOES INN – Racca Green, south side of Weeland
First recorded licensee was Richard Birkett in 1810.
WAGON & HORSES INN – Aire Street at junction with Chapel
First recorded licensee was John Laidman in 1803. Reputed to have belonged
to a religious order based at Meaux and the only non-freehold property
in Knottingley’s township. Premises closed 1970 and no renewal
application at lapse of licence on 2nd February 1971. Demolished.
WALLBOTTLE INN – Hazel Road, Warwick Estate.
First recorded licensee was Harold Killingbeck in 1964. Provisional
licence granted 17th November 1964, pending approval of plans. Final
order granted 16th November 1965.
WHEATSHEAF INN – Chapel Street, adjacent to St. Botolph’s
c.f. Sailors Home, Frog and Firkin.
The Wheatsheaf was the original name for the Sailors Home Inn. Known as
Wheatsheaf for about three decades following its establishment in the
WILLIAMS HOTEL – Bottom of Station Road, left hand side,
adjacent to Station entrance.
c.f. Lancs & Yorks Hotel.
WILLOW TREE INN – High Street, Ferrybridge.
First recorded licensee was John Davis in 1885. Formerly the site of the
town prison, details of the occupancy of this inn have not been traced.
Licence refused on 4th June 1934 and premises closed. Demolished in
WINSTON HOTEL – Long Racca, Womersley Road.
First recorded licensee was Alfred Bertram in 1939. Provisional licence
granted 4th March 1939. Final order 14th March 1942. New full licence
granted 10th March 1945. Owned by Tadcaster Brewery Co., York, the Hotel
was under the management of Hammond’s Brewery Co., from 1st April 1951,
before the company acquired ownership on 10th January 1962. Fell into
ownership of Bass Ltd in 1970.
Terry Spencer, 1998