Knottingley and Ferrybridge Online West Yorkshire
 
 
 
Amazon Advertisements
 
Knottingley and Ferrybridge Local History

FIELD SYSTEMS AND PLACE NAMES
OF OLD KNOTTINGLEY


SOME FACTS AND THEORIES

by TERRY SPENCER B.A.(Hons), Ph D.

INTRODUCTION : BEGINNINGS : DOMESDAY : PORT OF KNOTTINGLEY :
MANORIAL RE-ORGANISATION : GAZETTEER

THE PORT OF KNOTTINGLEY:

The population remained small until the end of the twelfth century by which time the general demographic surge which had occurred nationally was accentuated in the area around Pontefract by the construction of the Castle and the subsequent development of the town as the seat of the de Lacy lordship. The developments exercised a considerable influence upon the manorial vill at Knottingley, the most significant factor being the decision to erect a water powered corn mill on the bank of the Aire. The most suitable site for this construction was adjudged to be in the middle of the demesne land on the north western side of the manor. There is no extant record of the building of the mill and the earliest record of its existence is dated 1218 by which date it was already well established. The mill was most probably built within a few decades of the possession of the manorial holding by Ilbert de Lacy and the installation of Rannulf Grammaticus as his sub-tenant. (19)

The construction of a weir across the river in order to supply the motive power for the mill wheel curtailed the movement of vessels beyond that point. Henceforth all goods and materials required transhipment and in consequence, the vill became an important staging point which rapidly developed the status of an inland river port, being the prime point of supply for Pontefract Castle and other areas of central Yorkshire.

The number of inhabitants of the vill naturally increased in consequence of the manorial development and this expansion was accompanied by an increase in the demand for peasant holdings held of the manorial lord in return for service labour. By the fourteenth century the existent system of land tenure was strained, necessitating the reorganisation of the surrounding field system. An interesting glimpse of the manor is afforded by the Poll Tax of 1378 which accesses the taxable land value as 18s 6d, shared amongst 73 persons, the most prominent taxpayer being one Betissa Bronne who kept a handmaid and a serving man and was amerced in the sum of 6d. (20)

Terry Spencer

INTRODUCTION : BEGINNINGS : DOMESDAY : PORT OF KNOTTINGLEY :
MANORIAL RE-ORGANISATION : GAZETTEER


<PREV | NEXT>


 

Site constructed and maintained by Michael Norfolk
This website is Copyright © 2000-2011 [Knottingley and Ferrybridge Online] All Rights Reserved
| HOME PAGE | SITE INDEX | LETTERS | MEMORIES | PHOTO GALLERY | GENEALOGY | LATEST PHOTOS |
| YORKSHIRE ANCESTRY | PONTEFRACT WEBSITE | IMAGES OF YORKSHIRE | OO GAUGE GARDEN RAILWAY | CONISBROUGH WEATHER STATION |