THE OFFICIAL GUIDE TO KNOTTINGLEY
We have been fortunate to obtain a copy of The Official Guide to Knottingley,
published around 1950 for the Knottingley Urban District Council, which
contains many interesting historical facts and figures as well as many old
advertisements from local businesses of the day. Especially
interesting is the illustration on the front cover which depicts the
Knottingley Coat of Arms, a description of which can be found within this
For your interest, we reproduce here some extracts from the guide along with some of those
advertisements that appeared within it.
Around Knottingley the inhabitants throughout the
centuries have left traces of their employment and ways of life.
Of these traces surely none could seem more curious to the stranger than
the appearance of the countryside to the south of the town where
hundreds of acres seem to have been scooped bodily from the earth.
These large areas of excavated ground have been burnt away to a depth of
about ten yards by the lime workers. The deposits have been worked for
hundreds of years and undoubtedly offered employment to the townsfolk in
the days when Leyland, the historian, described the River Aire, so much
a part of Knottingley's life, as a "royal river". This
trade was the beginning of Knottingley's industry, the tale of it's
growth is taken up in later pages.
The river and it's companion canal system is immensely
important to the town and has a great influence on the direction of it's
growth and extensive industry. Unfortunately, by the time it has
reached Knottingley the deep waters have been contaminated by the
industry of Skipton, Leeds and Castleford. The town, which
consists of three parishes, Knottingley proper, East Knottingley and
Ferrybridge, is situated on the south side of the river and possesses,
in addition to the waterways, excellent rail and road communications,
both at Knottingley Station, which is served by two regions of British
Railways, and Ferrybridge Station. The latter village, once an
important halt for stage coaches, lies on the Great North Road.
Judged by it's name the town had a very early origin for
it derives it from natural features, thus Knott is a British word
denoting a projecting knoll or craggy protuberance, Ing signifying a low
meadow by a river and Lea or Ley, a ploughed field.
INFORMATION IN BRIEF
Ambulance: Tel. Knottingley 119
Area: 2,837 acres
Barclays Bank Ltd, Chapel Street, Knottingley
York County Trustee Savings Bank, Aire Street, Knottingley
Yorkshire Penny Bank, Aire Street, Knottingley
Midland Bank Ltd, Aire Street, Knottingley
Womersley Road, Knottingley and Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge.
The Council is responsible for both
The Palace Cinema, Aire Street, Knottingley.
Plans have been approved for a new cinema to be erected in Weeland Road, Knottingley.
Rainfall - 23.3 inches per year.
Temperature - 48.6 mean daily temperature.
Sunshine - about 3 hours 20 minutes daily mean.
Will Bentley Esq., Ropergate, Pontefract.
Early Closing Day:
Fire Station, Hill Top, Knottingley. Tel. Knottingley 143
Town Hall, Knottingley.
Weekdays; 1130am - 3pm, 6pm -1030pm
Sundays; noon - 2pm, 7pm - 10pm
Aberdeen 353, Bradford 25, Doncaster 14, Edinburgh 226, Harrogate 28
Goole 17, Leeds 15, London 171, Newcastle 104, Perth 296
Pontefract 2,Wakefield 10.
Ministry of Food:
Bridge House, Hill Top, Knottingley. Tel. Knottingley 302
National Insurance Offices:
The Ministry of National Insurance, Aire Street, Knottingley. Tel. Knottingley 225
Pontefract and Castleford Express
9,600 (estimated 1949)
Rates in the £:
Registration of Births and Deaths:
Registrar; Mr. Willis E. Hough of Newland Road, North Featherstone.
Attends at the Town Hall, Knottingley,
Tuesdays 10-11am, Thursdays 10-11am, Fridays 2-3pm
AROUND TOWN |
EARLY HISTORY | WEST RIDING